Saturday, May 25, 2013

Laid To Rest

I had initially thought I would let this roll of my back and ride it off. It just so happens that the way my mind works it has been on repeat since this morning. On one hand it's really no big deal yet on the other it just really irritates me. Okay... I'll just spill it.
So as j.rider and I were getting geared up and ready to head out for a nice Saturday ride. A fellow pulls up next to us and starts getting his bike ready and kitting up. Out of nowhere he says this "Death Riders huh....So you like laughing in the face of God?" Now keep in mind it's the first and only thing he says to us. We weren't jamming SLAYER or Lamb Of God while suiting up. Just two fortyish guys heading out for a bike ride. Heck we were wearing arm warmers so my sleeve of tattoos was even covered. I don't even think I was swearing, which is kind of hard to believe.


I typically am not a people person so I just kind of smiled and clipped in for the ride. I guess what bugs me is this. How am I laughing at God exactly? By wearing BLACK and not being afraid of the word DEATH? While I may not follow western religions it doesn't mean I am godless. I would also like to think any God no matter what the faith has a sense of humor and appreciates the irony of life. Hey just look at the platypus or three-toed sloth, I think God may like to laugh as well. Or have a look at this bible passage:

Genesis 21:6

And Sarah said, “God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh over me.” 


 

I guess what gets me is  how righteous some folks seem to think they are. My whole life I have been an outsider not always by choice in my early years. Somewhere around 12 or 13 I realised I was going to be different and that would be okay. I began getting tattooed at 18 and I have had numerous piercing over the years. My current ear rings are large enough that you can put your fingers through them. So I am well versed at getting strange looks and judged by how people perceive who I am.  Maybe I am being to hard on the fella but it was just a weird thing to say much less open a conversation that way. Either way he is entitled to his beliefs, just don't assume I am making some sort of statement on your life or chosen faith. 
Just don't assume I am some Godless Heathen either. In fact it might surprise the guy how much reading I've done on religions of various faiths. Something he would probably find hard to believe. Some of the most wicked men and women in the world used religion as guide for hate torture and abuse. So it may not be the best measuring stick of someones character.

With all that off my chest. It's a long weekend get out and ride your bike.

I'll chain you to the truth
 For the truth shall set you free
 I'll turn the screws of vengeance
 And bury you with honesty



No comments:

Post a Comment