Saturday, May 11, 2013

I Hate Sports

Well I guess "Cycling" counts as a sport... But, I really could careless about stick and ball sports. It never really interested me. I played little league for a year to please my folks and then I was done. Thankfully, I was blessed to find salvation in Skateboarding. It's sort of hard to believe now, but in 1984 being a skater wasn't exactly cool. I've been called dork or Skater Fag or just plain faggot plenty of times. None of that seemed to matter much because I had found something that spoke to my soul. I was obsessed with it in my teens and would rather go skating than on dates or to a party. At sixteen my childhood dreams of being some kind of pro came crashing down.
Literally...
I broke both bones in my lower wrist into two separate pieces. An impromptu surgery and about nine months in a cast and brace shock my confidence and desire to push it to the edge. I have always said Skateboards and Punk Rock saved my life and to this day I still believe that. 


Bikes and Cycling have sure helped to allow me to feel that same excitement Skateboards gave me years ago. So what the heck does this have to do with bike racing? Well nothing I guess... While I don't take any interest in mainstream sporting events. A few events make my yearly list of must watch. The Tour De France, The Giro, Paris Roubaix, Supercross and my kind of Super 'Bowl'. For the last nine years Vans and Pro-Tec have been putting on the worlds biggest bowl skating contest. I have had the opportunity to set foot and four wheels in the famed Vans Combi-Bowl at the block. I can tell you without a doubt it's large, intimidating and a hell of a lot of fun. So while I might not be racing the bike this weekend I will be watching some of my childhood heroes do what they were born to do. 





No comments:

Post a Comment