Thursday, June 20, 2013

Art Offensive

I have said before that I am a sucker for a good art department, and well it's true. I am a classically trained photographer and art school drop out. While I have used my education at some parts of my life, for the most part I've always worked with my hands. Everything from short order cook to helping map the human genome. At times I wonder what my life would have been like if i had pursed commercial art and design work. However, that usually only last long enough to remember awful assignments of design classes past.
With all of that said, I love it when a bike company or record label or anything for that matter has the ability to make a nice product and marry it with awesome design and ad work. 


Yes, my stature and measurements place me in the 'AVERAGE' segment for bike frames and fit. Yet, I do love handcrafted bikes. In my time I have be blessed to ride and race an Original Fat Chance 'Yo Eddy' made in Sommerville, MA and an equally righteous Independent Fabrications 'Steel Deluxe'. Even my current Santa Cruz 'Highball' has a custom paint treatment. I really like not being the white sheep and having something unique and somewhat different from the status quo. 
Lets just say if I had money to burn I would be calling 44 Bikes in a heartbeat.
Built to shred...check.  Awesome design and art department...Check. 
Bitchin' shop and cute shop dog...check. Soft spot for Punk Rock...check.
Whats not to like?
Oh and then there is this. I stumbled upon a piece of 44 Bikes propaganda that reads
"I'm painting my bike black, until they make something darker..."









No comments:

Post a Comment