Wednesday, April 10, 2013

We're Not In This Alone

I cannot take full credit for this blog post. As j.rider was the one who brought this too my attention. None the less I feel it's worthy of talking about. It's sort of funny how I got into this whole cycling thing anyway, so let me give you the back story. It was the late nineties and I had been towing the line of a Vegan Straight Edge Hardcore singer for the better part of the decade. My band at the time was coming apart at the seams for various reasons and my position in the local scene was fading. In short I needed a change, the type of change I wasn't sure. It just so happened j.rider picked up a Stumpjumper about the same time and took up ridding. After a few months I gave in and borrowed a bike to see what the hubbub was all about. I still remember how hard the first ride was, but I was hooked. Later that year we went to a local race just to spectate. At the race we ran into an old scene friend of mine and got to talking. It was m.rider or Pauli if that makes it easier. I'm not sure why cycling seems to have a punk rock or hardcore following but it sure seems to. Quite a few of the scene folks from my day have become bike shop monkeys or racers. Maybe it's something to do with the struggle and pain? It didn't take long to figure out i had found a new passion.


Every now and again it's nice to see that the death riders aren't alone in our love of cycling and music. As i stated earlier j.rider forwarded me a link to a blog for reading. His quote was something like READ THIS! So I headed over to Revolting Cogs. It was as if I was looking into a mirror so to speak. The more I read the more it sounded very familiar. Click on over and read the 'if you drive in a bike lane...' post. It's a gem of 90's hardcore banter and the struggles of being a punk rocker triathlete and cyclist. It's a fun read and hits pretty close to home... As I type this I happen to be once again straight edge and wearing tulasi beads.
This time at 38 sigh...


No comments:

Post a Comment