Sunday, January 8, 2012

Tune A Fish?

While j.rider and I may be pros at tuning a guitar or bass... Sadly I must admit I have never been a great tuner of forks. After a bit of Internet poking about I found this method repeated a few times, so I gave it a try. I have to say it is a pretty good baseline starting point and I have been happy with how the 29er Reba feels using this set-up.



The 411 via the blog-o-sphere:

After a load of research and reading, I finally found the right formula. Since you’re dealing with a negative and positive air chamber that work together it made sense that there would be an air pressure ratio at work here. I was absolutely correct. First off, the positive chamber does the majority of the work and absorbs the big hits due to it’s larger air volume. On the flip side, the negative chamber is used to absorb all the small hits and literally gets the fork moving early in it’s travel and requires a smaller volume of air. Now, if you put 60% of your body weight into the positive chamber and 10lbs less than that in the negative chamber you should be set. In my case I weigh approx 185ish with all my gear on. Knowing that, I put 110lbs of air pressure in the positive chamber and about 100lbs in the negative chamber (as opposed to the 140lbs suggested by RockShox). I knew that was the right mix as soon as I measured the sag at a perfect 20% of my total available travel. With that setup I left the compression dial all the way open, the rebound just shy of full fast, and the flood gate at 2 turns towards the closed position.

No comments:

Post a Comment