Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Icemen Cometh...

Living in the midwest has it's share of challenges, the least of which is our manic weather. This winter hasn't really been too bad on the temperature scale, it's the constant stream of precipitation that has been our undoing. I have been trying to make the best of it either riding inside or putting miles in on the road. However with the first race four weeks from now I hardly feel ready. Much like last year it will be a game time decision for this Deathrider.


In true mass media weather panic fashion. The local outlets are hyping up a winter storm coming our way in the next twenty four hours. Predicting up to three inches of ice and freezing rain or snow. It's a virtual smorgasbord of suck, headed our way. Further killing any thoughts of the twisty single track I'm craving. Hopefully, the weather folk will get it wrong and things will just be a little damp. The thought of a slop fest trail workday on Saturday is none to appealing. Nor are another weekends of rides done in front of the T.V. ridding virtual races with the DVD player.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a winter hater I just like it on my terms. I enjoy snowboarding, this is true. However, I'd rather have to seek the snow out by going west and not have it at my door step.  Winter also reminds me of what I used to call 'Hardcore' Season. Something about brisk air, long sleeve shirts, and boots seem to go together. So what better band brings on the winter feel than a band who uses Hockey as a main theme. One of the original bad boys of Boston Choke and Slapshot. I have really been craving good old tyme hardcore the last few months. I have revisited bands of my youth and newer ones that carry on the same tradition. Hardcore found me when I really need something and I'm happy to still believe in the music and the message. 

I didn't choose Hardcore, it chose me.

No comments:

Post a Comment