Thursday, February 14, 2013

My purse weighs a ton.



I am not one that enjoys seasonality.  I suppose there are things I enjoy about the changing of the seasons, like when it gets cold and you can enjoy heavy cuts of braised meat with a good imperial stout, and then when the weather gets warm again and the ladies wear jog-bras in the park.  For some reason I’ve always struggled staying motivated to ride or run when it gets cold.  At this point most people I know would throw down the HTFU card, which I fully deserve.  But even a well-placed HTFU often isn’t enough to make me put down the whiskey and layer-up for a ride or knock out an hour on the rollers.  However, today promised temperatures way up into double digit Celsius territory along with sunny skies and there was no way I was going to let something like my job get in the way of much needed mileage.  The last time my bib shorts high-fived a bike seat was a night-time twenty-ninering adventure at the SIUE trails back in October or some other month much too long ago, and this morning my legs were like two Labradors anticipating jumping into a lake.  The long winter hiatus off the bike has meant I’ve at least had time to maintain the stable so my CX bike-turned-gravel-grinder was ready to pull right off the bike hooks.  I was looking so forward to this, I even sheared my legs so I could use the tube of embro someone gave me for Christmas thinking I would need it over the winter….  I rolled out and headed toward what I hoped would be scenic roads not travelled by morning commuters.  My rough memory of North County navigated me through neo-ghetto and scenic conservation area alike.  50 windy miles later I rolled home on fumes having forgotten to eat breakfast with only the remnants of two cups of Goshen coffee and a GU in my stomach.  These are good days.  It makes me question why I let things like freezing temperatures and rain deny me the feeling I had today.  I could use more of that feeling, so thanks to J & K for providing a little inspiration to get out and pedal.

1 comment:

  1. man Tim has lost some weight. It makes me miss AVAIL, I think I've found tomorrows soundtrack. Good on ya Mr.Pauli for taking advantage of the day. I wished I was out ridding that is for sure.

    k

    ReplyDelete